(Rory Ring and Kay Matthews discuss the Downtown Core. Photo credit: Sault Star.)
In a joint effort between the BIA, Chamber of Commerce and CDC, Matthews spent the day in Sault Ste Marie with a full agenda. A round table with the media was held in the morning with Managers, newly appointed CEO of the Chamber Rory Ring as well as Dan Friyia of the Community Development Corporation.
The above mentioned then met with the City of Sault Ste. Marie Planning Department to discuss both positive and negative results of the recent Downtown Development Open Houses and the soon to be released Phase 3 of said plan.
Matthews was the key note speaker at that afternoon’s Chamber AGM where she illuminated those in attendance of the BIAROI program currently in development. The analysis will develop:
• Currently tracked data on BIAs in Ontario;
• Other benchmarking tools and the methodology used to define the agreed set of indicators;
• Four global case studies and consider the role that legislation plays in facilitating BIAs;
• A snapshot of current metrics available at the municipal and BIA level;
• A preliminary list of data gaps in current practice; and,
• Considerations for defining a hierarchy of preferred indicators.
Which will be a key document in the Sault Downtown Associations future strategic planning.
Finally Matthews’ visited the Sault’s BIA headquarters on Queen St to deliver a governance seminar.